Juvenile Law CLE 2020
Friday, March 27
County Admin Building, Olathe
4.0 CLE KS and MO (pending)
12-12:50pm - Case Law Update
Speaker: Judge Jenifer Ashford, Johnson County District Court
The presentation will include cases relating to:
· Revocation of Diversion and of Conditional Release
· Motion to Correct Illegal Sentence
· Preserving Issues for Appeal
· Guilty Plea – Waiver of Rights
· KS Offend Registration Act
· Speedy Trial and Sentencing
1-1:50pm – Impact of Trauma in Childhood
Speaker: Dr Tyler Droege, Licensed Clinical Psychologist/Asst Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center
This presentation focuses on understanding the neurobiological impact of trauma on youth and behavioral implications. A review of trauma literature and case vignettes will be utilized to provide effective treatment recommendations.
2-2:50pm - In-Depth Look at Services & Assessments Provided by Marilla
Speakers: Dr Tyler Droege, and Todd Schimmel, Johnson County Mental Health
This presentation will cover the clinical services provided at Marillac. The focus will be on the course of treatment during hospitalization and discharge planning.
3-3:50pm – Juvenile Law Updates
Speaker: Judge Thomas Foster, Johnson County District Court
This presentation will include:
- PRE-ADJUDICATION DETENTION CONSIDERATIONS. Statutory considerations related to the pre-adjudication detenti0n of a juvenile, including the criteria for detention, override findings, probable cause reviews, 14 day detention reviews, and credit toward sentence.
- POST ADJUDICATION ORDERS. Review of statutes related to pre -sentencing evaluations and reports, sentencing options, and parent orders.
- POST SENTENCING MOTIONS TO REVOKE, MOTIONS TO REVIEW, AND MOTIONS TO MODIFY. Review of statutory post sentencing options for probation extensions, detention, sentence modifications, and early release